Why is „StoP“ necessary?
- intimate partner violence is still happening in large numbers (every 4th women in a relationship, BMFSFJ 2004)
- intimate partner violence still is a taboo
- the majority of victims has limited access to services
- professional help alone cannot solve the problems
- community matters: people turn to informal networks of family, friends and neighbors for support and the norms and reactions of informal networks can save lifes
- “StoP”/community work is the missing link between working with the broader public and institutions/services (police, health, courts, school, social services) and individual support for victims or programmes for perpetrators